I’m sure you’re aware there is a different path to take than what you’re being encouraged to follow. By now, you’re likely finding yourself in a place of confusion, as we all are, unsure about the next steps to take. Listen to the experts. Check sources. Protect your family… but also recognize we are at a choice point. Do we uplift each other and find a way to serve, or do we bow to fear? If you are struggling right now, shift your focus outside of yourself. Ask how you can help, how you can be of service.
Connect with your innate desire to give.
- Fear will never take us where we want to go.
Making a conscious choice to go in another direction will.
- Find someone else you can serve.
One of the only ways I made it through the Great Recession back in 2008 — another point of great fear and hardship — was to stop thinking about myself and stop wringing my hands about my own future. There are always people we can serve in one capacity or another:
- Reach out to your neighbors: Obviously, maintain the appropriate social-distancing practices, but call, email, connect on social media — such as on your community’s Facebook group (which most have). Someone who is worse off than you may need help.
- Brainstorm ways to serve other people: Who can’t get to the grocery store? Who lives alone? Who have you not spoken with in a long time that could use your support?
- Refocus your thoughts: When you catch yourself ruminating about your own troubles, pause and send prayers and good thoughts to others instead.
What times like these do is they drive us apart or pull us together. Stay safe, but recognize there is a middle path where you can protect your family while serving those who need it the most. The world needs you right now.”
Systems thinking expert, futurist, and thought leader Kimberly Faith is the author of the award-winning book, Your Lion Inside: Discover the Power Within & Live Your Fullest Life. Her podcast, “The Sisterhood Report,” is a leadership portal for women to connect the dots between past, present, and future. An engaging speaker, trainer, master facilitator and executive coach, Kim has trained and coached over thirty thousand leaders from Fortune 500 companies including Amazon, American Airlines, BMW, CVS, GE, HCA, Lockheed Martin, Nielsen, and Thermo Fisher Scientific; she has also worked on licensing deals with Warner Brothers, Disney, and MGM. She has served on the external faculty for Microsoft to train 16,000 leaders over the next two years for a major transformation initiative. She translated her coaching experience into a system known as Breakthru Branding™ and now offers an online course to inspire leaders to take ownership of their signature personal brand. To learn more, visit www.KimberlyFaith.com and www.YourLionInside.com